Friday, January 11, 2008

Sophia had her 4 mo. check up today. She weighs 14 lbs 8 oz. and is 25.5 inches long. She seems to be doing great! She got her Prevnar vaccine today. Of course I dread the vaccine discussion every time I go in there. We are doing a delayed schedule, modeled after Dr. Sears' alternate scheduled. We are not doing his schedule exactly....No Rotavirus and no HIB. Although the doctor tried to talk me into that, I am still considering it but it isn't likely that I will change my mind.
BTW if you are interested in the subject of vaccines THE VACCINE BOOK by Dr. Sears is awesome! My brother is Autisic and that started my quest for the right thing for us when it came vaccinating Sophia. My other kiddos have been vaccinated by the AAP recommend schedule but at this point I am not convinced that was the right thing to do this go round. The book was great and helped me feel so much more confident in this decision. We will be fully vaccinating her but on a slower schedule. I can't see how putting all of those vaccines in a small baby can be good. I don't really feel comfortable giving her vaccines now for things that she isn't really at risk of. So as of now she is getting the Prevnar and the Daptacel DTaP one month apart. It has been kind of funny because when the nurses go to give her the shots they always say they feel so sorry for her because she is going to get more pokes, which I don't really want to do, but it seems to me that there may be more risk from giving her lots of vaccines at once. I wish that the people giving the vaccines would invest some time in learning more about the very vaccines that they are giving.

No comments: